12/6/12

tea cup candles

Kristofer and I are going through a bit of a candle craze lately. Partly because we live in an apartment. . . with a cat. . . so  we are always needing to find ways to keep our home smelling fresh and clean. Though there is nothing wrong with the simple glass jars candles usually come in, I wanted to find a way to liven up the candles in our house, without breaking the bank on a ton of decorations. Then I remembered seeing something online a little while ago. Tea cup candles! They are so easy to make and seriously so so cheap.



All you need is:

  •  2 tea cups (saucers optional)
- I was so proud when I got my tea cups at the D.I. for 50 cents each! The best part is people usually get rid of their tea cups with matching saucers, so dig around for a minute and you're bound to find a set.


  • Soy candle wax
- I just followed the stove top instructions that come on the package. You can also try microwaving it but it really is simple to use the stove.

  • Candle wicks 
-I got 3.5 inch. Depending on the size of tea cups you get, you may have to do a little trimming.


  • Candle scent
-This was my favorite part. There are so many different scents, it was hard to choose. I ended up choosing Sage and Citrus. I love scents that make it smell like I just cleaned, even though I probably didn't ;)


Directions:
Before you start, you want to make sure you clean your tea cups. After they are cleaned dry them completely. You want to make sure they are room temperature before any wax goes into them.
Place your wicks in the tea cups before preparing the wax and make sure they are placed straight so you can easily pour the wax in. Prepare the wax as directed, adding the scent. Pour wax into tea cups and just like that you're done! It will take 30 minutes to and hour for the wax to harden, depending on the size of cups you chose. Mine took about 45 minutes.

This was probably the fasted and easiest things I've made, not to mention kinda fun! Who knows, I might have to give some of these as Christmas presents.


No comments:

Post a Comment